Tuesday 20 January 2015

Out with the old, in with the new.

There is precious little left in my garden from last year - in the way of vegetables, I mean, because plenty of the shrubs and perennial flowers are still going strong.

The "old" is represented today by the few remaining chicories and radicchio. Their colours are still good, as long as you don't look too closely at the occasional brown edge of a leaf...








I think they will all need to be used soon, because I'll be needing the space they are in for sowing new crops (well, preparing the beds for sowing, anyway. It's still way too early to sow outdoor seeds.)

These are also in the "old" bracket - the last few Leeks. They are the second-batch ones, spares planted out only after the main crop had been harvested. I don't think these ones are going to get any bigger. They don't appear to have grown at all in the last two months, so I think I will just pull them up and use them as "Baby Leeks", eating them all in one go.


The "new" in the post-title is represented by Rhubarb, which is very eager to get started. This week a new leaf has pushed up through the surface:


In the Autumn I transferred my Rhubarb to a big bottomless pot (made from half an old water-butt), filled mostly with composted stable manure left over from growing potatoes. I'm very keen to see how it does in its new home, so I will be following its progress very closely. There are two crowns in that pot, but only one has shown signs of renewed life so far.


These are also new - some flowers on the Rosemary plants:


Not many of the flowers are open yet, but there are loads of buds forming.


It's far too early to think about Spring. We could still have another two months of Winter. But in the world of plants (as well as in the human world) there are always a few optimists!


7 comments:

  1. I shall have to have a look at my rhubarb and see if anything's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen my rosemary bloom. I'm always just happy if it survives the winter alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried peering at my rhubarb patch the other day, not much happening here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My allotment rhubarb has sprouted too. The early variety (I inherited it, so don't know the variety) produced usable stems from late Feb last year because the weather was so mild. Early rhubarb (normally arriving March onward depending on weather) is a very welcome new season crop.
    I've been inspired by this blog to try chicory and radicchio, and have already bought the seeds. Any plant that produces fresh edible leaves in winter is well worth a try. Alys Fowler (Guardian online) has an interesting article on growing radicchios.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your radicchios are so pretty. I've got a few going in my garden but I started them very late so they will never get to be as good as yours. Next time I have to get my timing right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We brought in one potted rosemary and it too is loaded with buds - I've never had ome flower before....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.