Monday 21 April 2014

Harvest Monday - 21st April 2014

Happy Birthday your Majesty! (our queen, Queen Elizabeth II - who is 88 today, and still going strong!)

My offering for Harvest Monday, hosted as ever on Daphne's Dandelions is not big in terms of quantity this week, but I think it scores highly in terms of quality! What do you think of these?


Those are the first picking of my "Cherry Belle" radishes.


Growing radishes is often described as easy (maybe because they grow quickly), but I don't think it is. They need very close attention to watering. If their roots are too dry they will bolt and be tough and excessively peppery. They grow best in warm moist soil.

There is a programme currently running on our TV here called "The Big Allotment Challenge". Some people seem to think it is about gardening, but I think it is basically a game-show whereby the "Losers" are progressivley eliminated and eventually a winner emerges. Last week one of the challenges was to present three perfectly-formed blemish-free radishes. Obviously the growing of these took place in advance! Regrettably, no credit at all was given for the taste or texture of the radishes, and they were judged on looks alone. Most of the offerings were very poor. One pair of contestants admitted sowing more than 500 seeds and were able to get only four that were anywhere near meeting the required criteria - and even then they were not that brilliant! Here is my offering:


These were picked only this morning and have not yet been eaten, but I am confident that they will be crisp, juicy and with just the right amount of pepperiness. Furthermore, I had no difficulty in choosing 3 perfect specimens. They were ALL perfect! (well, I think so anyway...)




Other than the radishes, I harvested this week another 2-person serving of Asparagus. Actually, by this I mean that by cutting a spear or two every day or so I eventually managed to get enough spears to be a worthwhile quantity for two people! This may perhaps explain why I don't have any photos of it. Asparagus is frustrating stuff - there's never enough of it. I'll just show you a couple of photos of it growing...






18 comments:

  1. Those radishes are perfect. And I can't believe they don't have a taste test. That just seems wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of radishes and asparagus are si stunning. Could we eat the radish's leaves? They look so fresh, maybe it could be a good greens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Endah, you can eat the leaves of Radishes, but I don't think they are very nice. They are hairy and often rather tough. I'd only eat them if I had no other greens available.

      Delete
    2. Actually, you can make a great soup with the radish leaves ! For a bunch of leaves I use 1 clove of garlic and a chopped medium potato, sometimes a carrot too. Add water or, even better, chicken broth (or coco milk for a change), and cook about 15-20 min, until the potato is tender. Mix and enjoy ! I found that radish leaves give a specific taste and texture to this simple soup, and I personally like it a lot.
      This is my first and small contribution to this blog that I've been reading for a while and find surprisingly addictive ("surprisingly" because I live in Paris with two balconies, no garden for me, sadly !)

      Delete
    3. Bonsoir, Aurelia, and bienvenue to Marks' Veg Plot. It's nice of you to contribute this recipe, and I hope you will visit and comment again.

      Delete
  3. Your radishes look delicious. I am trying three varieties of radish this year in the continued hopes to find one that is just right. Cherry Bell, Crimson Giant and Sparkler white tips. They are just starting to pop through the soil so it'll be a couple of weeks before I have beautiful ones like you (I hope).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen that new allotment show yet but I've got last week's taped still to watch, just shows how busy I am at this time of year. I haven't heard one good review of it yet so I'm looking forward to seeing what I think of it myself. I think you should put your name down for the next series, I can see more than three similar radishes in your line-up, and I bet you sowed less than 10% of what they did to get four similar ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, there is NO WAY I would want to be on that show. It's just not the sort of thing I do. I'm happy to be a gardener, but I don't want to be a game-show contestant.

      Delete
    2. Will there be a next series I wonder? I think Masterchef is more for you!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your vote of confidence, Sue, but I think I might be a bit out of my depth on Masterchef. I lack the versatility and experience required.

      Delete
  5. Your radishes are beautiful!! I love growing them...they are always a success around here...my grandchildren's very first crop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks to me that if the contest awarded 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th places that you would steal the show! I just sowed some radishes myself after reading a very inspiring article in the San Francisco chronicle about how "local" chefs are using radishes, I think you might find the article an interesting read. They mentioned a Japanese radish with delicious hairless leaves which I think I may have to get seeds for. here's the link if you are interested: http://www.sfchronicle.com/recipes/article/Radishes-from-side-show-to-center-stage-5396207.php#/0

    Sorry the link is so long, I don't know how to imbed a short version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. I have always thought that radishes are under-rated. I particularly like them done in a "Bulgogi" sauce, as part of a Korean Barbecue (which reminds me of a place in SF where we had that!)

      Delete
  7. I don't know how they can judge radishes without tasting them. I suppose if they look good they must taste good also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I disagee. I still remember a type of Turnip I once helped to harvest. They looked fabulous (they were like "Purple-top Milan"), but when cooked they went quickly into a nasty fibrous mush!

      Delete
  8. Wish I could grow asparagus . Mine are still as thin as a pencil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those radishes certainly look perfect! And the greens look wonderful as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your radishes look better than the Allotment TV show contestants. I wasn't impressed with the TV show but suppose I'll give it another go (I think I've the 2nd one taped). I also agree that radishes aren't as easy as all the magazine and seed packs seem to express. I've many a unsuccessful radish!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.